Talk like a Pirate!
Do you follow calendar events in your early years setting? Did you know that on the 19th September it is ‘Talk like a pirate day’? Well, I didn’t until a couple of years ago. It hasn’t been around that long but I think some of the new events are quite fun as a starting point. Whether, in your setting, you plan most of the activities or it is child led, themed days can be a great stimulus.
For example with ‘Talk like a pirate day’, there are lots of ways you could incorporate this theme in a day or even a week.
Role play area:
Create a Ship or Treasure Island.
- Have a basket of resources so the children can create: trails, ships, hideouts ...
- Water and sand play with boats and small world people
- Dig for treasure in the muddy area
- Laminated images of wanted posters and treasure maps (the children create these)
Drawing, Painting, Writing:
- The children create the treasure maps, wanted posters,
Designing and constructing:
- Construction equipment and include some pictures of boats, pirates, mini islands...
- Card, paper and other materials to make hats, eye patches, wooden legs...
Listening and moving to pirate themed music:
- What shall we do with the lazy pirate?
- When I was 1
- I'm pirate Jack (a song I wrote to help the children with listening) available in the Early Years Music Ideas: https://www.musicintheearlyyears.com/early-years-music-ideas-2-to-5
I'm sure you can think of many more ideas, these are just a few I thought about whilst writing this blog. I’d love to hear if you are doing anything for 'Talk like a pirate day' and afterwards which activities the children loved.
Happy music making!
- Celebrations (8)
- Composing Music (2)
- FAQ (1)
- Instruments (2)
- Listening to music (5)
- Live Music (1)
- Mathematics (3)
- Mathematics: Number (2)
- Mathematics: Shape, Space and Measure (1)
- Music Area (1)
- Musical Elements (1)
- Music Time (12)
- Nursery Rhymes (5)
- Outdoor Music (2)
- Performing (2)
- PDP (6)
- Props (11)
- Routines (2)
- Schemas (2)
- Seasons (4)
- Senses (1)
- Sensory (3)
- Singing (14)
- The Importance of Music in the Early Years (5)
- Topics and Themes (8)
- Top Tips (1)
- Vocal Play (1)